The Participant will be:
1. Knowledgeable of the Public Health Dental Hygienist Practice rules and regulations.
2. Able to discuss components of risk management, which include HIPAA, informed consent, documentation, liability insurance, and public health reportable diseases.
3. Able to discuss various signs, symptoms, and treatment for various medical emergencies.
4. Able to discuss prevention methods and response to a medical emergency.
5. Able to discuss current infection control guidelines for portable equipment in a public health setting.
6. In addition, dental hygienists will need to complete a 6-hour observation component in order to meet the total 10-hour training requirement for practicing public health dental hygiene. More information will be provided during the course.
Participant of this course will complete the 4-hour educational requirement to practice as a Massachusetts Public Dental Hygienist in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The course will cover the three required components set forth by the Board of Registration in Dentistry: infection control, risk management, and medical emergency review
Instructor: Barbara Sheerin, RDH